Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Don't step on the children



oh, i forgot to mention this.
Zoe and I went to Ian Svenonius' night at Santos just over a week ago.
Calvin Johnson was the special guest. And Heatmiser was the live act!
Just kidding about Heatmiser, but all the rest is true. (R.I.P. Elliott Smith).

Anyway, we were excited to go. Actually, we were more excited about the idea of going, but when it came to actually going there we really had to force ourselves. I told a bunch of people about the Ian Svenonius/Calvin Johnson one night only extravaganza. Everyone seemed interested, but at the last minute it was just me and Zoe who went.

It was upstairs at santos. There were live bands. This band called Crystal Stilts (i think that's their name) was really good. We watched their whole set. We only had one drink. I thought the music was great. Whatever Calvin was playing was a breath of fresh air. And Ian played those golden oldies that I expected to hear.

Zoe and I agreed that the night was more relaxing than it was exciting.
Maybe we thought we'd see other people we remember from the 90s.
The whole scene did feel sort of familiar in a comfortable way. For a second I thought that Bill Clinton was president again. We did see a guy raver who was really doing his own thing. When I was in the bathroom I saw graffitti about Harold Hunter. I took a picture of it for Zoe. In a very touching way, it brings everything full circle.

So, it's a fun party. My goal is to convince more people to go. Just remember - Monday nights.



Here's a nice picture of Calvin that i found. I wish I had talked to him just to hear his deep voice. Maybe he doesn't talk the same way he sings. I don't remember.

No comments: